Monday, April 7, 2008

Thing #7 Web 2.0 Communication Tools

Web 2.0 Communication tools, well that's quite a mouthful of jargon. It's interesting to see how all the communications tools that have been developed over the last few years are all being grouped into Web 2.0. In Thing #7, they talked about E-mail, Instant Messaging, Text (SMS) Messaging, Web Conferencing and Blog Prompts. Thing #7 could nearly be it's own 23 things, and should have been broken up into several "Things" of their own. That being said, I will slog through this massive topic in one blog entry.

Let's start with E-mail... 23 Things list for thing 7 mentions Gmail, Yahoo! Mail, and Hotmail. I find it tremendously funny that I have one or more accounts with each of these free e-mail providers, plus a separate e-mail account with my internet service provider. I guess you could say I'm a bit of an e-mail addict. Some of these e-mail accounts are no longer in use, and I have stopped using a few of them because they were originally created so I could access other internet services including social internet tools, and to allow me to subscribe to various internet games. So while I currently have 5 personal e-mail accounts, I used to have twice as many. Can you say userid + password nightmare???

Ok, the next topic is Instant Messaging (IM). Being a PC Geek I've tried and used many various instant messaging tools. Yahoo!, Microsoft Messenger, Trillian (which I use to connect to both Yahoo and MSN Messenger), and an older one that I no longer use, Mirabilis ICQ (currently it's www.icq.com). Instant Messaging can be a very useful tool especially if you are communicating with people across town or across the country. It's more interactive than e-mail, but less so than using a telephone.

Text Messaging (SMS--Short Message Service). If you've got a cell phone, chances are you've heard of this or done this before yourself. I've sent a few text messages, and I just can't see what the appeal is. Entering text from a telephone keypad is annoying. However being able to send and receive messages from anywhere I'm sure has it's appeal to some. To each their own I suppose.

Web Conferencing, now here's something I've only lightly used in the past, however since we started using WebEx here at the office, I've been able to use it for training and user support issues. I would imagine this would be more useful for larger group training sessions on various topics.

Anyways to sum up, there are many Web 2.0 communication tools out there, I've used many of them, and for the most part they are all very handy. Just watch out or they'll eat up all your spare time!

No comments: