Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Thing #15 Online Games and Libraries

Online Games and Libraries


I decided to take a look at Second Life, and watched the YouTube video of Info Island. Second Life looks like a fun way to wander around in a virtual environment. I liked the tour of Info Island, especially the Mystery section. I thought it was a creative use of the 3D area with the pumpkins, and other creepy looking decorations.

Is there a role for Second Life in libraries?


I could see people using Second Life in libraries, however I usually find more often than not kids are playing games like Runescape and other fantasy adventure type games.

It's also interesting while visiting the many libraries that I do what the local policies are towards gaming. Some are very pro-gaming, and others are somewhat oblivious and some are very anti-gaming. So depending on which library you belong to or patronize, the local policies are all very different, (Your results may vary.)

No comments: